What Are Catecholamines?
High Catecholamine Levels
High levels of catecholamines may indicate a wide variety of health conditions, including:
- Severe stress
- Certain tumors, both cancerous and noncancerous
- Baroreflex failure (a rare disorder involving blood pressure changes)
- Certain enzyme deficiencies
- Menkes syndrome (a disorder that affects copper levels in the body)
- Disorders of dopamine metabolism
Normal Catecholamine Levels
The main catecholamines are broken down in the following ways before being eliminated in your urine:
- Dopamine becomes homovanillic acid
- Epinephrine becomes metanephrine and vanillylmandelic acid (VMA)
- Norepinephrine becomes normetanephrine and VMA
A urine test is often given to measure the amounts of the above substances released from the body over a 24-hour period.
Below are the ranges usually considered normal for a 24-hour period. These ranges may be slightly different depending on the laboratory that performs the test:
- Dopamine: 65 to 400 micrograms (mcg)
- Epinephrine: 0.5 to 20 mcg
- Metanephrine: 24 to 96 mcg (but some laboratories give the range as 140 to 785 mcg)
- Norepinephrine: 15 to 80 mcg
- Normetanephrine: 75 to 375 mcg
- Total urine catecholamines: 14 to 110 mcg
- VMA: 2 to 7 milligrams (mg)
Your doctor will explain what your test results mean.
Testing Catecholamine Levels
If your catecholamine levels need to be tested, then your doctor will most likely recommend a urine test. A blood test can also be done.
Eating or drinking certain foods or beverages can increase catecholamine levels. These items include:
- Tea, coffee, and other caffeinated drinks
- Citrus fruits
- Chocolate or cocoa
Taking certain medications can also affect your catecholamine levels, so if your levels are tested, tell your doctor about all drugs you're taking.
The following drugs can affect your catecholamine levels:
Stress and intense exercise may also affect your test results.
Video: What is CATECHOLAMINE? What does CATECHOLAMINE mean? CATECHOLAMINE meaning & explanation
Home Workout: A 7-Minute Total-Body HIIT Workout
Diet Coke throws star-studded 30th birthday party
How to Keep a Schnauzers Face White
How to Practice Compassion Meditation
How to Start an Emo Band in Middle School
How to Become Financially Stable in Six Months
Balmoral: Everything you need to know about the Queens Scottish retreat
Deciem might be leaving Sephora for Ulta
30 Amazing Benefits Of Moringa Plant (Sahijan) For Skin, Hair And Health
7 Credit Score Myths Debunked
10 Ways to Squeeze More Steps into Your Day
How to Receive the Holy Spirit as per the Bible
Sears closing stores: Are liquidation sales worth it
How to Avoid Common Wedding Day Disasters
Penelope Trunk Careers